Birkdale B Catchment Upgrade
|Service:||Trenchless Pipe Construction|
|Client:||North Shore City Council|
The Project was centred on the horizontal directional drilled installation of 1,036 metres of gravity sewer. The associated commissioning works included manhole installation and several shorter pipeline installations.
Setting New Standards
- Longest horizontal direction drilled installation of pipe in New Zealand.
- First installation of FPVC pipe in New Zealand.
- Drilling at depths up to 30 meters and grades as low as 0.5%.
- Install 1,036 metres of product pipe through a pre-reamed 900mm bore.
- Variable geological conditions encountered; ranging from hard sandstone to soft silts & clays.
- Grades ranging between 0.5% and 2.0% were achieved using specialist locating equipment, tooling and software.
- 24 meter deep manhole construction completed to check borehole alignment through deepest section.
- First installation of Fusible PVC in New Zealand.
- Due to restricted space conditions, pipe string was welded in five sections before being welded together during pipe pull.
- Extremely sensitive environmental conditions.
- Due to the size of the project there were numerous stakeholders.
- A high standard of drilling was achieved; this is to date the longest horizontal directionally drilled pipe line in New Zealand.
- This was the first installation of a fusible PVC pipe in New Zealand. The benefits of installing this product over HDPE were enormous and contributed to the success of the project.
- The project won a Contractors Federation Environmental award. This showed the dedication the team had with respect to protecting the environment throughout the project.